Midway RCMP would like to remind all Boundary residents to be mindful of lotteries, sweepstakes and contest scams.
“Every year Canadians lose millions of hard earned dollars to the activities of scammers who attempt to control us with online, mail, door to door and telephone scams,” said Cpl. Judson Mayes of the Midway detachment. “Midway RCMP has received three such calls for assistance over the holiday season and into the new year,” he said.
Be mindful that you cannot win money or a prize in a lottery unless you have entered it yourself, or someone else has entered it on your behalf. You cannot be chosen as a random winner if you don’t have an entry.
Many lottery scams try to trick you into providing your banking and personal details to claim your prize. You should not have to pay any fee or tax to claim a legitimate prize. Scammers will often target the elderly and they may attempt to persuade you into paying monies in advance to claim the prize.
Some helpful clues:
1. Legitimate lotteries do not require you to pay a fee or tax to collect winnings.
2. Never send money to anybody you don’t know or trust.
3. Don’t provide personal banking details to anyone that you do not know and trust.
4. Ask yourself, did I enter this contest? You cannot win money or a prize in a contest unless you have entered it yourself, or someone else has entered it on your behalf.
5. Never give credit card or online account details to anyone you do not know or trust.
Call the Midway RCMP (250-449-2244) if you have been receiving such phone calls, and provide as much details as possible such as the phone number that called you if you have call display.