Fire forces family from home

A fire on the afternoon of Nov. 18 has left a family's home uninhabitable.

Greenwood Volunteer Fire Department responded to a trailer fire last week left the home uninhabitable only a month before Christmas.

A fire at a trailer on North Kimberley Avenue in Greenwood caused severe damage and forced Vicky McLean and her family out of their home last week. Greenwood Volunteer Fire Department Chief Roy Terashita said the call came in around 2:30 on Tuesday, Nov. 18.

“When I got there the guys had it pretty much all put out,” Terashita said in a phone interview earlier this week. “The guys figure it started by the wood stove. That’s where the bulk of the smoke and the flames were coming from.”

The chief said the city works crew responded to the fire as well. “A lot of the trusses in the living room are gone,” Tereshita said. “If you look up at the ceiling, all you see is tin. We had to pull down a lot of the stuff because the fire was up inside. There is no real attic, just these small trusses and insulation. The fire was spreading up along the trusses until the kitchen, where it kind of petered out there.”

No one was home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries reported.